The Dreamscape Universe of An Aspiring Scribe

"One describes a tale best by telling the tale. You see? The way one describes a story, to oneself or to the world, is by telling the story. It is a balancing act and it is a dream. The more accurate the map, the more it resembles the territory. The most accurate map possible would be the territory, and thus would be perfectly accurate and perfectly useless. The tale is the map that is the territory." --Neil Gaiman, 'American Gods'

Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a 21-year-old college student with dreams of being a professional writer. As you can tell from this blog, I certainly have the ego for it!

Friday, August 17, 2007

Wouldn't It Be Awful If...

Sometimes I find myself playing through Worst Possible Scenarios, situations that would fundamentally alter my entire day from good to downright awful. I just act them out in my head, figuring out what I would do and act. These include: What if this car driving right beside us were to suddenly swerve and plow us into the barrier? What if that gentle rumbling I hear in the distance doesn't turn out to be an airplane passing overhead, but is in fact that big earthquake we're supposed to be due for? What if a relative, or even Mom, died in an accident?

And what if I lose my wallet on the bus this morning, with my bank card, bus pass, and most of the practical ID that I have inside it?

That last question is no longer theoretical; it happened today. Fortunately it was only a few blocks from home so I was able to run back and report it by phone to the transit system--not to mention cancelling my bank card. Unfortunately I've just had confirmation that it was in fact stolen: there are already two transactions on it which aren't mine. This is odd because both are for the exact same amount, at the exact same place...but there's no way they could have gotten that far in the mere 30 minutes between stealing the card and my cancelling it (I looked on the map to find where this place the money got spent was). I certainly look to be having a nice weekend...

Be seeing you,
Steven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home